January 29: A quick recap of how the faith of Indians turned and twisted in 2 months as the second wave of Covid hit India. To say the least, the country was not prepared for such a massive toll on the healthcare system, and it collapsed. The country’s population gasped for air, and simultaneously, the markets crashed. Let’s have a look step by step at how it all turned out.
Let’s take a look at the headlines in March of 2021 (10 months ago) –
- Under 10,000 cases a day for a population of 1.4 billion people
- Lowest fatality rates in the world.
- The country opened up after the strictest lockdown ever known
- Industrial production inched back to pre covid levels
- Stock Markets were touching an all-time high
- India vaccine exporter to the world. Supplied to over 70 countries
- 6 Indian vaccines are under production. Frontline workers vaccinated
- India hailed in global media as a beacon of hope for tackling covid
Now let’s have a look at the month of April 2021 (9 months ago)
- In less than 30 days, India went from 10,000 cases/ day to 4 lac/day
- From being a vaccine exporter, India became a vaccine importer
- Local lockdowns imposed by each State. GDP hit once again
- Ten times increase in demand for Medical Oxygen across cities.
- From 900 MT India needed 9000 MT of Oxygen
- Breakdown of health infra as capacity could not keep up
- Medicine shortages and basic health infra- not available.
- Images of Indians dying and breathless splash global media
- From being hailed as a beacon, India shown as a failing State
Interesting data point –
The first to be hit was Mumbai in the month of March. India’s financial capital
Next to be hit was Delhi in the month of April. India’s Capital
Finally – Bangalore was hit in the month of May 2021. India’s IT Capital
What went wrong (In one Month)
- The variant India got hit by is supposed to be 50% more virulent. Came in from the UK and South African strains
- An international influx of passengers especially from Canada and the UK increased (especially to participate in the farmer’s protests etc)
- States took their eye off the ball and did not announce lockdowns
- The Center was in the middle of elections in West Bengal. Took eye of too
- While we can blame election rallies and religious gatherings to some extent, the exponential increase of 10 times in the cases in less than one month needs more analysis
How did India tackle the Second Wave – (the good news)
- From a caseload of 4 lac cases/day and positivity rate of 18%, India is down to 95K cases/day with a positivity rate of 5%
- India continues to have the lowest fatality rates in the world (adjusting for unaccounted deaths and unreported deaths too). It is at 1.11%
- Highest recovery rates in the world. 96%
- Amongst the highest vaccinations in the World. Passed the 24 cr ie 240 million mark. Yet that is just 15% of our population.
- India is testing the highest number of people in the World. Uttar Pradesh (the largest State in India, larger in population than Brazil) is testing 2 lac, people, a day. 375 million in total. 2 million tested in a day (India)
- Oxygen supplies went from 900m MT to 9000 MT in less than 40 days. The entire country was moving oxygen on railways, seas, Indian Air Force flights, international flights. Countries went all out to help India create Oxygen capacity and it was the largest most complex logistical exercise undertaken. Today India is self-sufficient and many States have quadrupled their capacity (in anticipation of a third wave)
- India is amongst only 5 countries that have vaccines for Covid. 4 more vaccines are under development and 1 will be an inhaled version.
- India lowered the vaccination age from 45 to 18 thereby getting a larger population to be involved. Currently, it is estimated that India will hit herd immunity by Sept 30th. This is at 10 million jabs a day.
- 10 million jabs are equal to the entire population of countries like Qatar, Kuwait or Singapore per day
- The Private Sector and the Center came together in many ways. Many large organisations contributed their CSR funds to the PM Cares funds and also vaccinated their employees.
- The RBI played a key role in providing financial support to the Economy. Many credit lines announced ample liquidity. Non-printing measures
- The Indian Government has provided food grains and pulses to over 800 million Indians for the last 10 months and will continue to do so for the next 6 months. Largest food distribution program in the World.
India has been hit and it hits hard. But it is healing and getting back on her feet. It is not a country that will falter or fail. India will fight and excel. We tackled the first wave brilliantly. The second wave caught us by complete surprise. But never again.
In the meantime, the global news is now rife with articles suggesting that Covid may be lab produced and may have been leaked. A dimension that directly means reparation and payback. Let’s see what the future holds.
About Karan Datta
With over 25 years of experience in finance, he has now switched roles as a speaker and loves to enlighten people about Foreign Affairs and Finance. His Experience as a speaker is about addressing the need of the hour issues like the Cost of Terrorism in India and National Security.
He currently sits on the boards of Edelweiss Asset Management, Prudent Corporate Advisory and Tamohara Investments as an Independent Director.
30 thoughts on “COVID – The Second Wave and India: A Tale of Two Months”
it contains priceless Information.
690744 770558We clean up on completion. This might sound obvious but not numerous a plumber in Sydney does. We wear uniforms and always treat your home or office with respect. 100122
241531 774318really great post, i certainly enjoy this web site, go on it 683480
72369 437125I surely didnt comprehend that. Learnt a thing new today! Thanks for that. 364686
888894 526215Excellent humans speeches and toasts, possibly toasts. are hands down transferred at some time by way of party and expected to turn into really funny, amusing not to mention educational within the mean time. very best man wedding speeches 399564
65815 664483As I website owner I believe the articles here is truly amazing , thankyou for your efforts. 849768
786931 922593Some genuinely good and utilitarian information on this internet site, as well I believe the style has got excellent capabilities. 261089
I must show my appreciation for your kindness giving support to all those that should have assistance with in this matter. Your real dedication to passing the message around came to be especially productive and have usually permitted individuals much like me to get to their desired goals. Your personal warm and friendly tutorial denotes so much to me and substantially more to my peers. Many thanks; from everyone of us.
I like what you guys are up too. Such intelligent work and reporting! Carry on the excellent works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my website 🙂
325853 791125If running proves to be a dilemma then it could be wise to uncover alternative exercises such as circuit training, weight training, swimming or cycling. 680437
Aw, this was a very nice post. In thought I want to put in writing like this moreover – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… however what can I say… I procrastinate alot and not at all appear to get something done.
Excellent site. Plenty of helpful info here. I?¦m sending it to some buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And of course, thank you in your sweat!
Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.
I would like to thnkx for the efforts you have put in writing this web site. I am hoping the same high-grade web site post from you in the upcoming as well. Actually your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own website now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings fast. Your write up is a good example of it.
hi!,I like your writing very much! share we communicate more about your post on AOL? I need an expert on this area to solve my problem. May be that’s you! Looking forward to see you.
I’ve recently started a blog, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work.
It¦s really a nice and useful piece of information. I am glad that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.
I’m not sure exactly why but this website is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end? I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.
I?¦ve recently started a web site, the information you provide on this website has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time & work.
Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Very useful information specifically the last part 🙂 I care for such information much. I was seeking this particular info for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.
I am glad to be a visitor of this utter site! , appreciate it for this rare information! .
As soon as I discovered this internet site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.
499335 48678This website can be a walk-by way of for all with the data you necessary about this and didnt know who to ask. Glimpse here, and also you will undoubtedly uncover it. 420999
810993 861719I recognize there is surely a terrific deal of spam on this weblog. Do you want aid cleansing them up? I could assist in between classes! 616409
59135 472627Very interesting info !Perfect just what I was seeking for! 19212
407118 863066Aw, this was an exceptionally good post. In concept I would like to location in writing such as this moreover – spending time and actual effort to create a outstanding article but so what can I say I procrastinate alot via no indicates discover a strategy to go completed. 59388
WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..more wait .. …
921678 306723Hello there! I could have sworn Ive been to this blog before but after reading by way of some with the post I realized it is new to me. Anyhow, Im surely pleased I discovered it and Ill be book-marking and checking back regularly! 152266
154192 993228I like the valuable information you offer in your articles. Ill bookmark your weblog and check once more here frequently. Im quite certain Ill learn lots of new stuff correct here! Greatest of luck for the next! 466948
This is a very good tips especially to those new to blogosphere, brief and accurate information… Thanks for sharing this one. A must read article.